Resources to Help REALTORS® and Your Clients Navigate Extreme Climate
CATEGORY: Practice Tips
TAGS: Climate Change Preparedness Flood Protection Flood Risks Floodplain Mapping Wildfire Season Wildfires
Annual widespread wildfires and flooding have unfortunately become a regular occurrence in BC. In 2022, the province recorded more than 1,758wildfires that burned more than 133,437 hectares. Sixty per cent of the wildfires occurred naturally. Meanwhile, extreme weather and mass flooding devastated communities and hundreds of homes across the province.
There is no doubt that climate change is at the top of mind for many British Columbians. So much so, that preparing for and mitigating climate change disasters was a top priority for the last federal election.
As a REALTOR® in BC, you should know how extreme weather events like wildfires and flooding can affect your clients so they can make fully informed decisions when buying and selling homes.
Here are some resources to help you and your client prepare for unexpected disasters.
- Help clients mitigate risks through proper insurance and knowing their region.
Five Insurance Tips for Wildfire Season
- Here are some actions homeowners can do to make their properties more wildfire-resilient.
Home Insurance During Wildfire Season
- Realtors can help protect clients by reminding them of the importance of year-round home insurance when buying or selling a home.
In a Bind Over Home Insurance?
- Follow these four critical steps to protect your client if they're buying a home during wildfire season.
New BCREA Research Finds Funding is Key to Adequate Floodplain Mapping in BC
- The 2021 BC Floodplain Maps Inventory Report identifies communities that created or updated floodplain maps from 2015 to 2020 and highlights the barriers in place for those that did not.
- Considerations for how to minimize potential damage when snowmelt and heavy rain may result in seasonal flooding in areas of the province.
To subscribe to receive BCREA publications such as this one, or to update your email address or current subscriptions, click here.
What we do
Popular tags within Practice Tips
Popular posts from BCREA
Housing Market Update – May 2023May 16, 2023
Mortgage Rate ForecastMar 22, 2023