Self-Directed Learning: Coming to the PDP January 1!
CATEGORY: Professional Development
TAGS: Education Professional Development Professional Development Program Self-Directed Learning
Self-directed learning will be introduced to the Professional Development Program (PDP) on January 1, 2020. To find out more about self-directed learning and how it fits into the PDP, click here. Below, we've answered five of the most frequently asked questions about self-directed learning:
1. I am taking a learning opportunity in 2019 that meets the criteria for self-directed learning. Does this count toward my self-directed PDP hours?
No. You can start earning self-directed PDP hours for learning opportunities taken on or after the January 1, 2020 transition date. Learning opportunities that you complete before this date cannot be used toward self-directed PDP hours.
2. My licence is up for renewal in 2020 and I’ve already fulfilled my PDP requirements. Does this mean I also have to earn six hours of self-directed professional development before my licence renewal?
No. Your board will convert the PDP credits you’ve earned within your current licensing cycle to PDP hours on January 1, 2020. Therefore, if you’ve already fulfilled your PDP requirements, you are not required to take additional professional development before your next licence renewal.
3. How do I know if a learning opportunity will count toward my self-directed PDP hours before I take it?
To start, ask yourself if the learning opportunity will be verifiable and auditable by your board, meaning you can provide proof of completion; if it will enhance your professional practice; and if it’s a minimum of one hour long. If the answer is “yes” to all three, the learning opportunity will likely count toward your self-directed PDP hours! If you’re not sure, check with your local board.
4. Why do self-directed learning opportunities have to be a minimum of one hour long?
Both self-directed and accredited learning opportunities must meet a minimum standard of one hour to ensure a beneficial learning experience. The one-hour minimum also offers you more flexibility, as the minimum under the current program is three hours, and simplifies the reporting and tracking of your PDP hours.
5. My brokerage offers training that enhances my professional practice and is at least one hour long. How can I use this toward my self-directed PDP hours?
Self-directed PDP hours must also be verifiable and auditable, meaning you can provide proof of completion to your board. For brokerage training to count toward self-directed PDP hours, your managing broker will need to provide you with this proof of completion. BCREA and boards are preparing examples of what this documentation could look like and will make these available to managing brokers later this fall.
To subscribe to receive BCREA publications such as this one, or to update your email address or current subscriptions, click here.
What we do
Popular tags within Professional Development
- Real Estate Practice
- Standard Forms
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Professional Development Program
- Online Courses
Popular posts from BCREA
Housing Market Update – November 2022Nov 17, 2022
New Statutory Holiday on September 30, National Day for Truth and ReconciliationSep 09, 2021