New Online Course Explores Suspicious Transactions in the Real Estate Sector
CATEGORY: Professional Development
TAGS: Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC) Professional Development Program Suspicious Transactions
BCREA has released a new self-paced online course titled The REALTOR®'s Guide to Suspicious Transactions. While BCREA has other courses on FINTRAC compliance, this is the only course that specifically focuses on ways to identify suspicious indicators of money laundering and terrorist financing in real estate.
In The REALTOR®'s Guide to Suspicious Transactions course, REALTORS® will gain practical knowledge of suspicious indicators (red flags) in real estate related to money laundering, terrorist financing, and fraud. This course introduces the four most common fraud types in real estate to enhance REALTORS®’ understanding of why fraud occurs in real estate and how it can be identified. The course also explains how money laundering occurs and what constitutes reasonable grounds to suspect, which is the minimum threshold for reporting a transaction to FINTRAC.
Given suspicious transaction reporting in the real estate sector is quite low across Canada, this course is designed to enhance compliance and help REALTORS® protect their clients and brokerages as well as safeguard their communities.
(BCREA Access Login Required)
The REALTOR®'s Guide to Suspicious Transactions is worth three accredited PDP hours. This scenario-based course contains videos, infographics, images, handouts, and worksheets to increase learning. Upon completion, learners will be able to:
- notice consumer and client behavioural indicators, consumer and client financial indicators, transaction indicators, and licensee-related indicators of money laundering and terrorist financing, and
- properly document their suspicions and collect the information required to file a Suspicious Transaction Report.
The primary goal of this course is to provide REALTORS® with accessible and practical education on how to detect the most common red flags of money laundering and terrorist financing in their day-to-day practice.
- FINTRAC for REALTORS®: Understanding Canada’s Anti-Money Laundering Laws (3 hours)
- Mastering Compliance 2.0: Anti-Money Laundering Training for Brokers (9 hours)
BCREA also has several articles on identifying and reporting suspicious transactions that can be helpful.
- Help Protect Your Clients from Title and Mortgage Fraud Attempts (February 3, 2023)
- How REALTORS® Help Prevent Money Laundering in Real Estate: Identifying and Reporting Suspicious Transactions (January 13, 2021)
- The F Word: Protecting Yourself and Your Clients from Fraud #554 (October 27, 2022)
To subscribe to receive BCREA publications such as this one, or to update your email address or current subscriptions, click here.
What we do
Popular tags within Professional Development
- Professional Development Program
- Real Estate Council of BC (RECBC)
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Property Disclosure Statement
- BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA)
Popular posts from BCREA
Housing Market Update – September 2023Sep 15, 2023
Mortgage Rate ForecastSep 21, 2023