Online Course on BC Energy Step Code Helps REALTORS® With the Sale of New Energy-Efficient Homes
CATEGORY: Professional Development
TAGS: BC Energy Step Code Energy Efficiency Professional Development Program
BC Energy Step Code: A Primer for Selling Energy-Efficient New Homes is a self-paced online course worth three accredited PDP hours in which REALTORS® will improve their knowledge of the BC Energy Step Code. The BC Energy Step Code sets levels, or “steps”, of performance requirements for new construction and is a growing deciding factor for your clients when buying new homes.
Local home construction experts and course author Peter Sundberg, in collaboration with energy experts from City Green Solutions, guide Realtors through interactive elements, video explanations, and knowledge retention exercises to help ensure that, by the end of this course, you will be able to:
- explain the role that the BC Energy Step Code plays in aligning with the national and provincial strategies and pathways to net-zero energy-ready new construction,
- identify the key features and benefits of high-performance homes and buildings,
- educate clients about the BC Energy Step Code and more effectively sell energy-efficient homes.
The primary goal of this course is to enhance your knowledge of how to assist your clients and protect their best interests during the home buying or home selling experience, particularly around energy efficiency.
2023 update: what changed in the course
To meet the recent regulatory updates to the BC Energy Step Code, BCREA has implemented some changes to the course, as well as adding a new module that covers issues related to zero-carbon homes.
As of May 1, 2023, the BC Energy Step Code was officially adopted into the BC Building Code regulation, stipulating that newly built homes must meet performance metrics from Step 3. At the same time, the Zero Carbon Step Code was added as an optional building code regulation that local governments can adopt and incorporate into bylaws.
Along with the regulation amendments, BCREA took the chance to update or add other information related to:
- 2022 CleanBC Strategy and Resources
- 5-Step ladder revisions
- Construction and design techniques
- 2022 BC Energy Step Code Market Response Study
- 2022 BC Energy Step Code Metrics Research Report Update
- 2023 Canadian Homebuilders Association National Home Buyer Preference Survey
Check out BCREA’s Energy-Efficient and Sustainable Homes PDP course here for another accredited learning opportunity related to energy-efficient homes.
This Project is made possible with funding from the Real Estate Foundation of British Columbia.
To subscribe to receive BCREA publications such as this one, or to update your email address or current subscriptions, click here.
What we do
Popular tags within Professional Development
- Professional Development Program
- Real Estate Council of BC (RECBC)
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Property Disclosure Statement
- BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA)
Popular posts from BCREA
Housing Market Update – November 2023Nov 16, 2023
Mortgage Rate ForecastSep 21, 2023