Radon for REALTORS®: Online Course Helps Navigate Radon in Real Estate
BCREA has updated its Radon for REALTORS® online course! It is worth three accredited PDP hours, in which REALTORS® explore radon – the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers – and how it relates to the real estate transaction.
Radon is a pressing issue, and as a REALTOR® you are expected to demonstrate competency and apply reasonable care and skill when providing real estate services to your clients, which includes being knowledgeable about environmental conditions and taking the appropriate steps to alert clients of known health or environmental concerns.
REALTORS® must recognize that radon measurement is crucial for each home, as radon maps only indicate likelihood, not certainty, and those newer buildings, despite tight construction, may still provide hidden gaps for radon to enter the structure. Testing should span more than 48 hours, considering seasonal fluctuation and the inadequacy of short-term results for accurate assessments.
Learning more about this invisible, odourless gas can help ensure you take the right steps for your clients.
(BCREA Access login required)
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- understand where radon comes from;
- identify how radon enters a dwelling;
- know what influences radon levels;
- locate areas in Canada and in BC with higher exposure to radon;
- recognize the effects of radon on human health;
- understand Canada’s radon awareness initiatives;
- identify applicable laws and emergent policies on radon in BC;
- grasp radon matters in real estate transactions;
- identify the role of Realtors around radon;
- understand how a home can be tested for radon; and
- share information on radon mitigation techniques with clients.
Although the primary goal of this course is to provide the radon knowledge REALTORS® need to support and guide clients through a real estate transaction, the information presented can also be valuable for the health and safety of clients and REALTORS® alike.
Learners will earn three accredited PDP hours upon completion of the course. Register here.
In the spirit of inspiring and supporting REALTORS® to make a difference and implement radon testing as a safety practice during this season, BCREA will be giving away five Radon Test Kits among the people who register for the BCREA Radon for REALTORS® online course. These tests can be used to test your own home or shared with your clients.
All registrants to the course between November 1-30, 2023, will enter the raffle, and the five winners will be contacted directly by December 7, 2023.
To subscribe to receive BCREA publications such as this one, or to update your email address or current subscriptions, click here.
What we do
Popular tags within Professional Development
- Professional Development Program
- Real Estate Council of BC (RECBC)
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Property Disclosure Statement
- BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA)
Popular posts from BCREA
Housing Market Update – February 2024Feb 16, 2024
Mortgage Rate ForecastDec 13, 2023