Canada Revenue Agency

CRA Launches Calculator for Wage Subsidy Program

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has launched an online calculator to help employers estimate the amount of wage subsidy they can expect if they apply for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS). This calculator will help you to determine some specific line amounts that you will need to enter into the CEWS application form once it

More Than Wage Subsidies: Additional Aid for Brokerages

By Anna Jones, CPA, CA (Partner, Church Pickard) The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) and Temporary Wage Subsidy (read about them here) are just two financial aid programs available to managing brokers as small business owners. The Work-Sharing Program, Canada Emergency Business Account and recently announced Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance programs can all help

Broadened CERB Criteria Makes More REALTORS® Eligible

On April 15th, the Government of Canada broadened the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) criteria by allowing applicants to earn up to $1,000 in each four-week eligibility period. People who are eligible for Employment Insurance or sickness benefits or who have exhausted their Employment Insurance benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020 are

CERB or CEWS: Which Federal Aid is Right for You?

If you are a REALTOR® trying to understand whether you should apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) (due to launch April 6) or the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) (launch details unavailable) there are two questions to ask yourself: Are you self-employed? Have you incorporated as Personal Real Estate Corporations (PREC) and receive

Applying for CERB – Start with a CRA My Account

In order to apply for the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), expected to launch April 6, you must first have an online account with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), called CRA My Account. The British Columbia Real Estate Association (BCREA) recommends that all REALTORS® who intend to apply for CERB and who do not yet

Home Office or Work Space Expense Deductions #414

Legally Speaking

By Jennifer Clee Section 18(12) of the Income Tax Act permits a self-employed individual to deduct expenses associated in using part of the home as a place of business. However, no claim may be made in respect of any “work space” in a “self-contained domestic establishment” (dwelling house, apartment or similar place in a residence

Independent Contractor or Employee – The Tests For #228

Legally Speaking

By Gerry NeelyB.A., LL.B. When the Homelife/Victoria case was decided in 1992, the conduct required to establish independent contractor status was not common knowledge among the licensees who claimed this status at the hearing. However, Revenue Canada reports that the returns of licensees claiming to be independent contractors continue to be rejected, either because of the terms

Tax Deductibility of a Real Estate Training Course #133

Legally Speaking

By Gerry NeelyB.A. LL.B. A real estate salesperson in Ontario paid $525 in 1985 to attend a four-day course “List More – Sell More,” which she found to be useful in increasing her commission income. Her deduction of this amount on her tax return was disallowed and she appealed. Her grounds of appeal were that

Principal Residence – Exemption or Taxable Gain #131

Legally Speaking

By Gerry Neely B.A. LL.B Where the lands surrounding a principal residence exceed one acre, the excess area only falls within the principal residence exemption if the owner can prove that the excess is necessary to the use and enjoyment of the housing unit as a residence. The standard of proof required of an owner

Commissions, Garnishees and Interest #97

Legally Speaking

By Gerry NeelyB.A. LL.B. Before weave the memory of 1986 too far behind, some questions have been asked concerning several of the 1986 Legally Speaking columns. Column 90 discussed a case where an agent was unable to collect a commission where a purchaser had defaulted, and the listing contract omitted to state what the vendor’s obligation would