Get Flood Ready
So far this year, BC's River Forecast Centre has issued ten flood or streamflow advisories and watches. As spring draws closer, snowmelt and heavy rain may result in seasonal flooding in areas of the province.
Anyone concerned about flood risks to their property should consider how to minimize potential damage. A few years ago, BCREA assisted the BC Government in preparing the Flood Information for Homeowners and Home Buyers resource. This resource offers ideas to consider when purchasing and renovating a property, as well as these simple, inexpensive tips for protecting against flood damage:
- store valuable and important items or documents on upper floors,
- anchor fuel sources,
- seal cracks in the foundation and around doors and windows,
- install backflow valves on basement floor drains, washing machine drains, toilets and sink drains,
- install a sump pump,
- make sure water drains away from the foundation, and
- regularly clean gutters, perimeter drains and nearby storm drains.
To monitor flood risks in your area, check out the River Forecast Centre website. Much more information about preparing for floods and other hazards is also available online from the PreparedBC website.
To subscribe to receive BCREA publications, or to update your email address or current subscriptions, click here.
What we do
Popular tags within Advocacy
- Strata Properties
- Rules and Regulations
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Limited Dual Agency
- Standard Forms
Popular posts from BCREA
First-Time Home Buyer Incentive Launches in SeptemberAug 22, 2019
Sketching Out the Potential Impact of COVID-19 on the BC Housing MarketMar 17, 2020